Roopkund is a small glacial lake above the snowline, which is famous for hundreds of human skeletons found at the edge of the lake.
Roopkund Trek starts & ends at Lohajang. Roopkund is located in the remote corner of Chamoli District of Uttrakhand State of India.
It is a very small shallow lake, maximum 2 meters in depth and generally remains under the snow for 8 months in a year.
May to June end and September to October are the best time to scale Roopkund. Expect trekking on the snow in the beginning of May.
Avoid rainy season of July and August. Again September and October is a nice time to trek here. After October, it is generally not advisable to trek because of the extreme cold.
Facts About Roopkund
Distance & Driving Time from Delhi: 500 km. 16-18 hours.
Maximum Altitude: 5,029 metres, 16,499 feet
Temp: 0°C – 25°C
Best Time: May to June, September to October.
Hike: Difficulty level is Moderate to difficult.
Trek Distance: 60+ km.
Trek Duration: 5 Nights, 6 Days.
Day 0: on arrival, getting into the rooms for night stay.
Day 1: Lohajang to Village Didna.
After breakfast, proceed on the trek. Stay at Tents in village Didna.
Day 2: Village Didna to Bedi Bugyal through Ali Bugyal.
Day 3: Bedni Bugyal to Bhagwabusa (base camp) via Patharnachni & Kallu Vinayak.
Day 4: Base Camp to Roopkund, Junargalli then return back to Patharnachni/ Bedni Bugyal.
Day 5: Trek down to road head Village Wan, drive to Lohajang. Night at the guest house.
Day 6: after breakfast proceeds back to the home destination with wonderful memories.
13 May 2018 – 7 Days, 6 Nights Trip. Availability – Open.
27 May 2018 – 7 Days, 6 Nights Trip. Availability – Open.
3 June 2018 – 7 Days, 6 Nights Trip. Availability – Open.
17 June 2018 – 7 Days, 6 Nights Trip. Availability – Open.
INR 8, 999 Per Person (Lohajang to Lohajang)
INR 10, 999 Per Person (Rishikesh to Rishikesh)
INR 10, 999 Per Person (Kathgodam to Kathgodam)
Special discount available for big groups.
Note: Minimum 5 persons required to operate this trek.
– Land Transfer (Tempo/Maxicab).
– Accommodation: 6 Nights stay in neat & clean standard rooms & Tents.
– Healthy and nutritious food during itinerary (Day – 0 Dinner to Day – 6 Breakfast).
– All Forest, Camping, Trekking Permits, & Camping Equipment.
– Trekking Equipment like Crampons, Gaitors to comfortably walk on snow.
– Services of Trek leader, Porter & Supporting Staff.
– First Aid Kit.
– Land Transfer from Wan to Lohajang.
– Video of every Participant.
– Any services not mentioned in inclusions.
– The cost of any Rescue, Evacuation, Hospitalization, etc.
– Personal expenses of any kind like Charges for Hot Water, Mineral Water, Soda, other beverages or drinks.
– Any expenses of Personal Nature or any Gifts, Tips, Offerings.
Things to Carry:
1. The Wind & Waterproof Jacket-1.
2. Pullover/ Sweatshirt-2, Collared Full Sleeve T-Shirt (Lightweight)-2.
3. Warmer/ Thermal-2 (Upper & Lower).
4. Woolen Cap-1, Neck-Warmer-1, Gloves-1, Cotton Socks-4, Woolen Socks-2.
5. Poncho/ Rain suit (Mandatory)
6. Floater/ Chappal, Good Pair of Hiking Shoes (Waterproof during Monsoon & Snow Season).
7. Cold Cream, Sunscreen Lotion, Lip Balm/ Lip Guard.
8. Personal Medicines, Inhalers (if any suffer from asthma).
9. Water Bottle – 2(Mandatory).
10. Head Lamp or Torch/ Flashlight with a fresh pair of Batteries (Mandatory).
11. Solar Charger/ Power Bank to charge Mobile and Digi Camera.
12. Personal Toilet Kit and Toilet Paper.
13. Sun Cap/ Hat, Early-Dry Towel.
14. Sunglasses (Mandatory).
15. Trekking/ Hiking Pant/ Short-2 (Mandatory).
16. Camera with charged Batteries (to capture memories).
17. Hiking/ Trekking Pole(Mandatory).
18. Backpack (Min 55 Ltrs) with rain cover.
19. Daypack (min 15 Ltrs).
20. Cutlery: Carry a spoon, coffee mug, and a lunch box for hygiene reasons.
21. Some Energy Bars (Chocolates, Candy), Biscuits, Energy Drink/ Juice.
22. Mandatory Documents: Please carry the Original & Photocopy of Govt. Photo Identity Card (Driving License, Voters Card, Adhar Card, Passport), Medical Certificate from any Registered Practitioner (MBBS).
– and most important the Adventure Spirit.
Note: Trekker has to carry his/her backpack by own if someone wants a Porter kindly inform in advance so we can arrange. Porter charges extra.
How to Reach:
There are two routes to reach Lohajang from Delhi via road.
Route 1: Delhi – Kathgodam – Almora – Gwaldam – Tharali – Debal – Mundoli – Lohajung
Roopkund trek starts from Lohajang i.e. around 230km from Kathgodam
Route 2: Delhi – Haridwar – Rishikesh – Devprayag – Srinagar – Rudraprayag – Karanaprayag – Tharali – Debal – Lohajang.
Lohajang is around 260km from Rishikesh.
Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun
1). Kathgodam, Uttrakhand
2). Rishikesh, Uttrakhand
From Rishikesh, you get a lot of options by Taxi/Bus or shared Jeep to get to Karnprayag. From Karnprayag, you can get jeeps to Tharali, Debal and then to Lohajung.
From Kathgodam, you get shared jeeps which will take you to Lohajung via Almora, Kasauni, Gwaldam, Debal, Mundoli, and Lohajung.
There is a direct bus from Rishikesh ISBT which leaves at 5 in the morning. However, taking a bus is not advised unless a necessity.
Buses are available to Kathgodam or Haldwani from Delhi ISBT Anand Vihar, and you can board one which takes about 8 – 9 hours. Volvos are available too which leave at night after 8 PM.
– Booking Amount & taxes are not refunded in any case.
– Within 10 days of Arrival Date/ No Show: No Refund.
– 15 to 30 Days prior to Arrival: 50% of the total package cost.
General Term and Conditions:
– Booking Confirmation is subject to receipt of Full Advance Amount & E-mail from HRI.
– All the Rates mentioned are valid for Indian Nationals Only.
– Consumption of Alcohol or any banned substance is prohibited during the trip.
– Tariff for Foreign Nationals/NRI’s is on request.
– Check-In Timings: 1 pm and Check Out Timings: 11 am (for accommodations).
– If arrival time is not mentioned, the reservations will be released at 6 pm.
– The Applicable Tariff, Packages are subject to change without prior intimation.
– Taxes extra as per Government notification.
– HRI not responsible for any kind of accident or injury to anyone so please trek carefully.
– In the case of non-availability of the rooms at our respective hotels for reasons, The Hotel would be arranging alternative/ similar accommodation.
– All jurisdictions are subject to Chandigarh only.
– Confirmation is subject to force majeure clause.
Package ID: HRI-A108
1) Climatic conditions in the high altitudes vary from the plains; take adequate time to get acclimatized to high altitudes.
2) Pay heed to the trip leader in order to enjoy a safe and sound trekking experience.
3) Do not consume Alcohol or any other intoxicants during the trip.
4) Avoid trek during the nights, bad weather conditions.
5) Before undertaking the trip must consult a physician.
6) Carry basic medications and a first-aid kit during the trip.
7) HRI is not responsible for any accident, damage or anything like that is person’s own responsibility.
8) The Trip takes place through eco-friendly zone; do not encourage littering the local sites or campsites.
The applicable refund amount will be processed within 15 business days.
ATM Point and Mobile connectivity during Roopkund Trek
Rishikesh and Kathgodam are the places where you will find an ATM in case you need to withdraw money but HRI advice you to carry enough cash from your home destination according to your needs.
All major Mobile Networks works at Lohajang. Please inform anxious family members in advance about poor connectivity during the tour.
For more details, kindly feel free to contact us.
Team Heaven Riders India
What’s App/Call +91 73800 87934