Hampta Pass Trek with Chandratal Lake
A stunning Trans Himalayan cross over trek, which will blow your mind, Hampta Pass trek will surprise you with dramatic and rapid changes in the scenery.
Before going in details about this trek, we would like to give an introduction of Hampta Pass. Perched at an altitude nearly to 14,000ft surrounded by the mighty Himalayas the trail begins with the campsite of Jobra where here one will cut through a lot of forests. The next campsite is Jwara, furnished with carpet full of flowers in short wildflower meadow at the meeting point of valley. Your eyes will welcome you with the drama on the terrain.
From a green valley to cold barren desert. After crossing Jwara, the next campsite is Balu Ka Ghera and thereafter Shea Goru which is the desert oasis. The visit to Chandratal Lake is breathtaking. No other trek like Hampta Pass will offer such views of Snow-capped Himalayan Peaks and pristine blue water lake. Whole experience and views changes when you enter Lahaul through Hampta Pass.
Heaven Riders India offers you an opportunity to cross Hampta Pass and visit Chandratal Lake of Lahaul & Spiti. Trip starts and ends at most famous tourist destination ‘Manali’.
- STUNNING CROSSOVER FROM LUSH GREEN TO BARREN LANDSCAPES
- CHANDRATAL: HIDDEN GEM IN THE REMOTEST SPITI SURROUNDED BY THE CHANDRABHAGA RANGE
- INCREDIBLE PANORAMIC VIEWS OF SNOW-CAPPED PEAKS FROM PASS
- A THRILLING AND DARING ADVENTURE
- HAMPTA PASS IS A FUNNEL SHAPED NARROW VALLEY
Day 1: Manali to Chika via Jobra
• Altitude:- Jobra 9,800ft to Chika 10,100ft
• 2 hour drive to Jobra from Manali
• 2km, 45 minutes trek from Jobra to Chika
• Enough water through the trail
• Easy to Moderate trail.
Manali to Jobra is reached by vehicle in 2 hours. Important part of drive is 42-hairpin turns to reach the last road head. Manali is situated at an elevation of 6,700 above sea level. It is a very good place to acclimatize before starting the trek. On the first day you will reach the height of 10,100ft. The trek on foot starts from Allain Guhugal Hydel Project Junction. While crossing the main route, you will find a variety of trees like maple, deodar and oak. The view is extremely refreshing. After 20 minutes of trekking Trekkers will be welcomed with lush greenery meadow. The Rani nallah comes in between the meadow. The surreal view will make the trekkers go crazy as they will witness few sheep and cow grazing on the field. While crossing the meadow you climb up the hill on the left side. Chika is reached at the end of the vast meadow. This route is quite scenic has spacious green patch. With the Rani River flowing, it makes it very easy to pith the tents.
Day 2: Chika (10,100ft) to Balu Ka Ghera (11,900ft, Trek 5-6 hours)
• Altitude:- 10,100ft to 11,900ft
• 8.5Km, 6hr trek
• Moderate trail, gradual ascent
• Enough water on the way
• River crossing, boulder walk and colorful tiny flowers on the way
This trail leads to rough terrain and slop of boulders. There is a gradual ascent and you will see the stunning Dhauladhar range in the background. The view is worth to drool upon when one gets a glimpse of the Indrasan Peak. The scenery turns out to be fairy tale and the gradient gradually increases till the Jwara Nala. The most exciting part is the River Crossing. River Crossing is not a cup of tea as one needs to take proper precaution for crossing. So, on this day, you will have to do two river crossings i.e. just near to Chika Campsite and the other at Jwara. This is an exciting and splendor moment for the adventurers as you have to open your shoes because the water level will reach your knee. Also, you will feel numbness in your feet due extremely cold water after crossing the river.
Day 3: Balu ka Ghera (11,900ft) to Shea Goru(12,900ft) Crossing Hampta Pass (14,100ft)
• Altitude: - 11,900ft to 14,100ft (Hampta Pass) to 12,900ft
• 7 km, 10hr trek
• No water point on the way (Depends on the snow conditions)
• First 1 hour is a gradual ascent then Steep ascent till the pass
• Around 2 hours of steep descent and 1 hours of a flat walk from the Pass to camp sight
• Coldest place of the trek
• Stay in the tent and take rest
There is the dramatic changes in the scenery because Hampta valley is a narrow one. The ecosystem makes is so rich because the valley is shaped like funnel and it stays the way until the very end of the trek to Chhatru. On this day, trekkers are are very much exhilarated because today is the descending part i.e. going down to the Shea goru Camp. From Hampta Pass one can witness the Indrasan Peak and Mt. Deo Tibba and the humongous glacier. To reach Shea goru, it will take approximately 8 hours with a moderate ascent. Be prepared while going down because the descent is quite slippery filled with rocks and loose soil. This can be brutal to your knees while crossing the pass so better to walk carefully.
Day 4: Shea Goru (12,900ft) to Chhatru (11,000ft). Drive to Chandratal Lake (5 Hours)
• Altitude: - 12,900ft to 11,000ft
• 7Km, 5hr trek
• Gradual descent on moraine
• Drive to Chandratal and back to Chhatru camp site, either on day 4 or day 5 (depends on road and weather conditions)
Shea goru is everyone’s favorite campsite. You will find the contrast in the sceneries. It is the stunning desolate valley of Lahaul. Not only this, the addition of wildflower and small stream passing by makes it more ethereal. A dream landscape for every mountain lover with such exquisite settings make the trekkers and nature lovers go bonkers. With the backdrop of the lahaul and Spiti range along with the Pir-Panjal Range rule the entire landscape of Hampta Pass. Trek till the campsite of Chhatru. If the roads are good enough to ride,you can head towards Chandratal Lake which is around 41km and takes 2 hours to reach. Each one of us have heard about Pangong Lake of Ladakh. Chandratal lake is absotuely stunning and equally beautiful. Drive to the Chandratal Lake which is a jaw dropping emerald blue lake in the Lahaul and Spiti district. The vibrant colours of the lake and the desert mountain makes it cherry on top of the cake. Later, drive back to Chhatru for night stay. We are not staying at Chandratal. I's nothing more than a part of Hampta Pass Trek.
Day 5: Chhatru to Manali via Rohtang Pass (Drive 6 Hours)
The drive from Chhatru is extremely picturesque. Witness the panoramic views of Rohtang Pass and other mountain ranges and tiny hamlets of Kullu and Manali. The last day will be a relaxing day and finally the five extravagant adventurous days ends in Himachal Pradesh.
- Accommodation during Trek in camps on shared basis.
- Healthy & nutritious meals while on trek (Day 1 Lunch to Day 5 Lunch).
- Morning & Evening Tea with Cookies, Maggie/Soup in the evening.
- Pick & Drop Point from Mall Road, Manali.
- Camping Equipment like Tents, Sleeping Bag, Mattress, Kitchen & Dining equipment etc.
- All necessary Forest, Camping, Trekking Permits & Entry Fees.
- Basic First Aid Medical Kit.
- Mountaineering Course Certified & Expert Trek leader & Support Staff (Local Guide, Cook, Porter, Mule & Helper).
- Transportation as per itinerary (Manali to Jobra, Chhatru to Chandratal & to Manali) rest depends on weather & road conditions.
- & followed by full power fun.
- Any Services not mentioned in the inclusions.
- Any Insurance, Airfare/Train-fare/Volvo Ticket, cost of Hospitalization, Emergency Evacuation, Rescue charges, off-loading, personal porter, mule charges etc.
- Any expenses arising due to Bad Weather, Road Blockage, or any other reason beyond our control to be borne by YOU/TOURIST on the spot.
- Any expenses personal in nature like Tip, Mineral Water and snacks/Meals not mentioned in the inclusions.
Things To Carry/Essentials
- Wind & Waterproof Jacket.
- Fleece-2, Trek Pant -2, Collared Full Sleeve T-shirt-2, Warm nightwear set for night.
- Warmers/Thermal-1 pair (Top & Lower).
- Woolen Cap, Neck-Warmer, Waterproof Gloves, and Woolen Socks-2, Trekking Socks-5, Sun Cap, Early-Dry Towel.
- Poncho/Rain Suit (Mandatory).
- Waterproof Trekking Shoes with Good Grip.
- Cold Cream, Sunscreen Lotion, Lip Balm/ Lip Guard, Personal Toilet Kit and Toilet Paper.
- Personal Medicines.
- Water bottle – 2 (Mandatory).
- Goggles, Trekking Pole - 1 (Mandatory).
- Inhalers (if any suffer from asthma).
- Tiffin Box (for packed Lunch).
- Backpack 45 Ltrs.
- and most important the Adventure Spirit.
- Cancellations up to 30 days prior to departure date - 10% deduction (payment gateway & bank charges).
- Between 30 days to 10 days prior to departure - 50% deduction.
- Less than 10 days of departure - No Refund.
- In partial payment system, Booking amount is Non-Refundable in any case.
Why Choose Hri
- Secure Bookings: We works with safe & secure bookings gateway. Don't worry about your credentials. Our expert team will help you to book your next Himalayan experience.
- Safety: We breath in the term ‘Safety’ as this our utmost priority. Suitable environment for Solo Woman Travelers/Trekkers so don't no worry in that case. We have tremendous trek leaders where all of them are well-trained professionals & certified with mountaineering courses (Basic and Advance as well). They know the safety protocols like the back of their hand. Also our support staff is well-behaved & they respect all.
- Smaller Batches: We at HRI believe in the concept of Small batches' that improves quality & focus. Maximum 15 numbers of group strength that helps trek leader to get connect all members.
- Itinerary: Our team of experts crafted all the itineraries very carefully so all the members can acclimatize properly & refined from our experience of leading hundreds of trekkers.
- Equipment: While organizing trekking in Himalayas HRI uses high quality equipment as per the standards. From tents to sleeping bags to ropes & other technical equipment like rope, micro spikes, gaiter etc. everything is tested and certified. HRI trek leaders always carry portable Oxygen & Basic First-Aid Medical Kit, Oximeter with them.
- Clean Trails: We at HRI, strong believers in the Leave No Trace policy and encourage our all members to don't throw garbage & plastic rapers during our expeditions. Also our aim is to improve welfare of local people and Keep Trails clean & green. We respect nature and working on it simultaneously.
Health & Fitness
- Walking is a great exercise that gives great shape to your legs and your body. It helps in burning calories and cut down excess weight and strengthens the heart.
- Jogging is effective in increasing human lifespan and makes your lungs stronger. It is an aerobic activity that requires a lot of oxygen. This is a great exercise for fighting obesity and staying healthy.
- Squats are the best form of functional exercises to improve stability. They also strengthen your legs, thighs, hips and hamstring.
- 3 Sets each of Pull-ups, Push-Ups, Sprints, Mountain Climber, & 60 Seconds Plank.
- Another great cardio vascular exercise is pushing your body upstairs after stairs. This is regarded as the best exercise for increasing strength and power.
- & finally don't forget to give treat to your body with some Yoga and Meditation in the end.
What documents I have to carry?
What kind of toilet facility you are providing?
How many trekkers will be in one tent?
I'm the solo female traveler, is it safe?
Is Diamox advisable and I should bring some medicines with me?
Yes personal medicines are advisable during any trekking expedition weather organizers carrying it or not.